Friday, March 02, 2007

New Board

I've been working on my marquetry skills lately and this is my latest deck. I made the rising sun out of African Rosewood, the background out of Zebrawood with the grain running from center, and the tail area and flames are Cocabola. The Japanese writing reads, "David Campbell Skateboards" and is burned into the wood with a woodburning tool.
I pressed the veneers onto a sheet of Canadian Maple with a vacuum press, and then pressed that onto a a blank I had already pressed with the tail and concave shapes.

7 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Samuel Dancingwolf said...

das Beautiful.
NO RAILSLIDES.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger John said...

This looks amazing. The detail is sharp. I would love to learn this technique, but not for skateboards. More for boxes and cases.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Nuge said...

I'm impressed. Bring that over to Atlanta one weekend, and we'll shoot you in the air, and show it off in style.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger David said...

Sam, boardslides will happen, but the deck will have rails mounted and it's got a thick coat of polyurethane on it. That and I rarely slide anything anymore, mostly just ride at the skatepark.
I do plan to use marqetry work on some furniture I will build eventually.
I'll bring it to Atlanta soon Thinh. But 40 year old fat guys don't sail quite as high as dem skinny 20-somethings. At least this one doesn't.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Nuge said...

I'll just get really low. I'm pretty skinny. You can jump two feet over me can't you? :)

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger David said...

No! I really just skate ramps and like to carve and grind. The ollie and air thing is a long time ago, but I might be able to pull some boneless ones if I have the right banks.

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dave--badass board. Mind if I hotlink the picture?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home